Churches on display for Historical Society series
Jun 08, 2012 | 1451 views |  0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
On Sunday, the Leeds Historical Society will continue its special series of meetings focusing on the history of churches in Leeds. This month’s meeting will feature Leeds Presbyterian Church, 8317 First Avenue North.

The 2 p.m. meeting begins in the sanctuary and will include a tour of the church and its archives. Mary Ann Mosley, an active member of the church for 65 years, will speak about the church’s history.

Following the presentation and tour, the Leeds Historical Society will hold a brief business meeting and install new officers and board members. Admission is free, and the public is invited.

The first church in the Leeds area, Shiloh Presbyterian Church was organized in 1821. The hand-hewn church building was built on a tract of land adjacent to historic Shiloh Cemetery.

Leeds Presbyterian Church has been at its current location since 1913. In 1948, Mosley’s father, builder Bill Jarrett, constructed the most recent addition to the church, which added a fellowship hall and upstairs rooms.

The Leeds Historical Society is a non-profit organization that meets on the second Sunday of every other month. For more information about the organization, visit leedshistoricalsociety.org.

Post Your Stuff